Just like all entrepreneurs, freelancers often procrastinate. Unfortunately, there’s not a lot of room for procrastination when you are your own boss. If you aren’t steering towards where your business needs to go, chances are you’ll end up lost. Here are seven strategies to help you beat the procrastination bug.
1. Set a routine. Despite the luxurious freedom that freelancing offers, having a routine and sticking to it will help eliminate procrastination from your workday. Wake up at the same time every day, start and end work on a schedule and soon you’ll have formed a healthy habit.
2. Take breaks. We all need breaks from time to time. Take regular and consistent breaks to rest and refresh your mind. Overworking can make you feel sluggish leading to procrastination, avoidance and low efficiency.
3. Meet friends for lunch. Don’t be afraid to get out of the house and meet some friends for lunch. It’s what normal 9-to-5’ers do, so why can’t you? The change in routine and the energy from others will surely uplift you and put you back in action.
4. Get support. Have a freelance mastermind or other support in place to help you handle the bumps on the road. Having people to bounce ideas off of, or just lend an ear in support is critical to blowing procrastination to bits.
5. Move your body. Exercise and movement, be it a walk outside or a stint at the gym will help you think more clearly and give your more energy throughout your day.
6. Track your progress. We often procrastinate when we can’t see what we’ve accomplished. It’s like running in the hamster wheel and feeling like we aren’t getting anywhere. Track your progress; it will give you the fuel you need to keep moving forward.
7. Change your routine. Contradicting #1 on this list, change your routine once in a while. A change is as good as a rest and can help beat procrastination. Perhaps it’s time to get out of your comfort zone. You never know where you’ll draw inspiration —a coffee shop, a local park, you name it.